Friday, March 21, 2008

Dad's love them too!

Here is an article a man posted about his Jonas experience.


When I was a kid, my parents never took me to rock concerts. So I swore to myself that when I became a parent, I would take my kids to concerts whenever they expressed an interest in one.

Of course, when I made that promise to myself, I couldn't possibly have predicted that Disney would be in the rock 'n' roll business, pumping out bands like a doctor handing out aspirin.

Against my better punk-rock sensibilities, I took a deep breath and volunteered to take my daughter Lindsey, as a surprise birthday present, to see the Jonas Brothers last Friday at George Mason University's Patriot Center.

Arriving at the Patriot Center, we were met by a sell-out crowd of 10,000 screaming fans. I'd say 9,987 of those were females between the ages of 8 and 50. The remaining 13 were dads, like me, wondering "What was I thinking?"

Everywhere you looked, there was a fan sporting her own creatively designed Jonas Brothers T-shirt, pants, skirt, hat and even socks. I never experienced Beatlemania, but I can only imagine that it looked something like this.

Opening acts Velora and Rooney started the night off, playing several songs each. Velora, with their Paramore-meets-Evanescence sound, won the battle of opening bands, and is worth checking out.

As good as the opening bands were, the crowd couldn't wait for their favorite rockers to start. During stage setup, each time a roadie came into view, the crowd would scream, thinking it was one of the Jonas Brothers. It was at this point that I was glad I'd brought tissues for our ears.

As the stage was being prepared, current pop hits were piped through the sound system to keep the crowd energized--not that they needed any help. For one brief moment, Queen's "We Will Rock You" played, and all at once, several hundred parents bonded with a collective sigh as we realized that our kids had no idea who Queen was.

Finally, the moment arrived. The lights dimmed, the fans roared, and the music began to play as the three Jonas brothers appeared on the stage from mini-elevators below a raised floor. The brothers, to my surprise, performed like seasoned rock veterans, complete with flips off the raised stage, swinging of microphone stands and roaring drum solos.

I sat in amazement with my fellow parent-chaperones as we watched our tweenagers yelling, screaming, howling and melting over the bubble-gum pop of the brothers Jonas. The kids clapped, danced and generally went nuts over the course of two hours, which included all of their hit songs ("Year 3000," "When You Look Me in the Eyes," "S.O.S." and a surprise cover of that '80s classic "Take On Me" by A-Ha).

I must confess, the Jonas Brothers sounded great and put on an excellent show. Oh, and for all you Jonas Brothers fans who are arguing about which of the Jonas Brothers is the hottest--Lindsey tells me it's Joe.

No comments: